Friday 3 May 2024

Elvis and me

I really only remember Elvis from his later years and the reaction to his death. I was too young before that. But I saw his performances on television and loved them. I saw the outpouring of emotion when he died and I could see that he was not thought of as just another singer, not just another man. He was 'The King'. He was a legend. He was Elvis. I've been watching clips online of him performing as part of my trawl through my musical memories and the feelings they evoke in me, and this, weirdly, is what came into my head. 


He might have died on the toilet, but he was still Elvis


Me, I could die

between rose silk sheets

on a four poster bed

with ruby satin drapes

in a plum velvet room

in a golden palace,


but I'd still be

just the odd woman

who sneaked away 

from the tour group

and hid there

until it was all over.


No comments:

Post a Comment