Saturday 13 April 2024

The old poems

While I spend some time thinking about the new poems I'm writing and want to write, I thought I'd share some of the old ones that didn't make it into print - though some got shortlisted. This week, one I wrote about my mother, who was a primary school teacher for a short period of her life, before serious ill health stopped her working.


Teacher


Look at their little faces

as they sit there waiting

for me to tell a story.


There was some chatter

but I silenced it

and now they all look to me.


I shall tell them

of a princess

locked in a tower.


I shall tell them

of the life

she dreamed she'd have.


I shall watch

their little faces waiting

for the rescue, the escape.


I'll let them wait

and then I'll say

The End.


No comments:

Post a Comment