Monday 24 January 2022

Access to nature

I watch the presenters on wildlife/nature programmes, walking through the empty countryside, enjoying the beautiful views, the flora and fauna, and I think: I want to be there - or at least out and about. Some people can get out into nature. Some can't. Access to nature is a topic covered in numerous articles and official papers and is a vast subject. This is just my view, doubtless coloured by how I feel right now. 

It's not a straightforward issue, because different people want different things, obviously. For example, how do we protect the feeling of actually being in nature? If everyone has access to nature and uses it, then you could find you've gone out into a crowd rather than into nature, unless you go somewhere really wild, and, oh yes, less accessible. Difficult to reconcile the two. There's also the issue of protecting nature, not damaging it, while out enjoying it.

I am very lucky in that I live near the sea, on an island with wonderful habitats for nature, where, theoretically, I could walk for miles or just sit and observe. But I can't walk for miles - I have MS, my legs are not as strong as they were and I have real balance issues and can fall very easily. Many of the places I want to see I need a car to get to, and some places now charge for entry too. There are other issues as well, which I'll get to. But I'm still one of the lucky ones, because, with help, I can still get out and about, but oh, how nice it would be if I could do it on my own. Oh, and I have a small garden, so I can go there.

But large numbers of people don't have a garden, or a local green space, let alone access to nature reserves or the wide open spaces of the countryside. And if they can get there, will they be able to get about independently? Wheelchair users and people with disabilities of all kinds may find navigating open spaces difficult, if not impossible, on their own. Many places are not accessible by public transport and most places where you go by car, if you have one, now charge for parking and/or entry, so it's also a question of whether you can afford it.

Women often don't feel safe alone on the streets. There is no good reason why they'd feel any safer in natural open spaces. You could go in a group - which can be great, if you're a group sort of person - but what if you're trying to get away from everyone and everything? You just want peace and quiet and nature. Some people like groups, some like crowds, but some want to be on their own, at least some of the time. And if you don't feel safe, you can't.

It's also about feeling you belong. People from ethnic minorities are less likely, statistically, to go out to natural spaces. There are many reasons for this, but part of it is their feeling that they don't belong. I'm not equating them, but there are other ways too that you may not feel you belong. What if, for example, you're not an expert birder, or you haven't got the 'right gear', or you're not a dog-walker or cyclist, or you feel too old, too young...? There is no implied criticism of these 'categories', but when you go out somewhere, if you don't feel you 'fit' with others in that particular space, for whatever reason, you just may not feel comfortable. That's not to say there aren't lots of people and places which are friendly and welcoming to all, but you can't always know in advance what a place is like, and it can still be limiting. One bad experience can put you off. Again, it's about freedom for each person to experience nature in a way that feels safe and right for them. 

In terms of health benefits, it is now far more widely acknowledged that getting out into nature can be good for people suffering with some mental health problems, like anxiety and depression (and also for some people with certain physical conditions, and indeed, everyone), though, of course, it's just one of many things needed. And again, it's only any good if it's something people can access easily, freely and safely. Otherwise, it's still only available to those who have green spaces on their doorstep, or who can afford it, and/or have someone to take them and support them while they're there. If you suffer from anxiety, as I do, you may not want to be among other people that you don't know. If you suffer from depression, as I do, you may not feel better knowing you're dependent on someone else. When it works, it's great, and I would definitely endorse the idea of it, but it doesn't work for everyone all the time.

Everybody's different. Everyone has their own circumstances to deal with. Like I said, I'm lucky in many ways - despite the issues I have, I can still get out and enjoy nature at times, even if it's not exactly as I would want to. So many people can't. And I really don't think that's getting any better. The need to invest in nature is an issue which is well-documented, but words aren't yet matched with sufficient action. We need also, I think, to ensure that the positive experience of being out in nature is preserved, and that all people can enjoy nature in a way which is right for them, without excluding, or being to the detriment of, others - and that means thinking about the needs of different people, enabling them as appropriate, increasing understanding, and looking at the difficulties that can arise - and that's a really major issue that will take a lot more thought, and action, to resolve. 


2 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful, personal and pertinent post, Sue. I think many of us will identify with (a number of) the issues you mention. And yes, for those of us who can't walk far and/or have cause to be extra careful in these times, our gardens have become particularly important. But this, of course, isn't the whole solution ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your response, Caroline, and humble apologies for not noticing it earlier. I so rarely get comments on the blog - people tend to respond via Twitter - that I gave up checking! Thanks again.

      Delete