A distraction for me, and hopefully for you. Open to all. Extracts from poems. One point for the bird, one for the poet. There are no prizes - sorry.
1. Art thou the bird whom Man loves best
2. It was the Rainbow gave thee birth
3.Their feathers roughed and ruffling, white on white
4. Our most hardened crooks are sincerely shocked by your nesting habits
5. Thou scorner of the ground!
6. Burglar Alarm of the undergrowth
7. I love to see these chimney sweeps sail by
8. Mostly it is a pale face hovering in the afterdraught of the spirit
9. High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
10. Warbl'st at eve, when all the woods are still
Good luck! Answers below
1. Robin - Wordsworth
2. Kingfisher - W H Davies
3. Whooper Swan - Heaney
4. Cuckoo - Auden
5. Skylark - Shelley
6. Wren - Ted Hughes
7. Carrion Crow - Clare
8. Barn Owl - R S Thomas
9. Kestrel - G M Hopkins
10. Nightingale - Milton
How did you get on?