Monday 6 January 2020

Completely

I decided to start the new Sheppey poetry group by looking at Louis MacNeice. I looked to see what was available online to ensure all the group could find something and then went through things I had at home. In the back of my Selected Poems I found a scrap of paper on which I'd scrawled the following. I don't know when and I don't know why. It made me smile - and it certainly isn't going anywhere else, so I thought I'd share it here. And yes, I know it should come with sincere apologies to MacNeice, whose poetry I have grown up with and loved.

Completely

I've got it sussed completely
It didn't take that long;
I've learnt the words and gaps between
It was me that wrote the song.
I've sat at the feet of gurus
And ignored them oh so sweetly;
I did the work, it wasn't luck,
I got it all completely.

I found my joy completely
I found it in myself;
I do not fear the winter's void
Or the onset of ill health.
Each year just brings more promise
Packaged oh so neatly,
The presents come out of the blue
And satisfy completely.

The rainbow arcs completely
The way is always clear;
For sure there are diversions
But the path is always near.
I'm sure this is the way to go
The road will rise to meet me
In truth I know this is the way
That's right for me completely. 


Slightly random punctuation, capitalisation as per the original, form not Entirely as per. Poetry group totally unaware of its existence as yet. Probably for the best.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment