Thursday 12 April 2018

The Gifts of Reading

I recently read The Gifts of Reading by Robert Macfarlane (author of, among other books, the mind-blowing Landmarks - 'the language of landscape and the landscape of language'). The Gifts of Reading is a wonderful little book and a gift in itself - which keeps on giving. If you read it you'll see what I mean - it just leads you on to more.

I won't give away the secrets of the book and I can't give you the gift of an actual book - because, unlike Facebook, I don't have access to your data, or their vast amounts of money - but I thought I'd at least share the names of some of the books I've enjoyed reading between bouts of poetry:


The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney

Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty

Tin Man by Sarah Winman 

They're easy to get hold of and the reviews will tell you far more than I could here, and much better. 

Despite there being no end of fiction out there, I sometimes struggle to find the right book at the right time. I would be happy to accept the gift of any recommendations. (I am not currently accepting submissions of poetry or nature books as I already have a huge backlog of those!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment